Congratulations to these San Diego County Democrats who have been appointed to standing committees of the California Democratic Party for the 2015-2017 term:
- Affirmative Action Committee: Steve Rivera (Lead Chair), Taisha Brown, and Andrea Villa
- Credentials Committee: Farouk Al-Nasser, Kelly King, and Gail Mackler
- Finance Committee: Xavier Martinez
- Legislation Committee: Joanne Climie
- Platform Committee: Janet Gastil and Daniel Ortiz
- Resolutions Committee: Michael Gelfand
- Rules Committee: Ryan Hurd and Janet Meredith
- Voter Services Committee: Jess Durfee (Lead Chair), Don Anque, Betty Ball, Howard Collins, Poppy De Marco Dennis, and Kami Olsson
Local Democrats also made a strong showing at the CDP Convention in May, when elections for regional directors and caucus officers were held. Craig Roberts and Phil Hanneman were elected CDP Regional Directors for Regions 20 and 18 respectively, Mike Thaller was elected Chair of the Progressive Caucus, and Marco Lopez was elected Region 10 Director of the Chicano-Latino Caucus.
Young Democrats stepped up in a significant way, winning seven state-level elections. Those include newly elected California Young Democrats Vice President for Membership Allan Acevedo, Political Director Kelvin Barrios, South State Regional Director Jennifer Sosa, LGBTQ Caucus Chair Will Rodriguez-Kennedy, LGBTQ Caucus South State Regional Director Ryan Trabuco, Veteran’s Caucus Chair Rebecca Taylor, and California College Democrats Political Director Maximilian Cotterill.
San Diego County Democrats were also recognized for their leadership and hard work with various awards. Janet Gastil and Michael Johnson were recognized as CDP Volunteers of the Year for Regions 19 and 20. Kelvin Barrios was awarded CYD Officer of the Year. CYD Project of the Year went to the Scott Peters “CYD Invasion,” which saw hundreds of Young Dems from all over the state come to San Diego’s 52nd Congressional District to knock on thousands of doors in two days.
Congratulations to all of the volunteers and activists whose hard work has been recognized by the state party!