CORONADO DEMOCRATIC CLUB GENERAL MEETING
JANUARY 11, 2020
CORONADO PUBLIC LIBRARY, WINN ROOM
- Call to Order: President Frank King at 11:00 a.m.
- Agenda: Approved as submitted.
- Minutes: November 2, 2019 meeting minutes corrected to reflect that membership as of that date was 165 (not 160). Minutes approved as corrected.
- Treasurer’s Report: Club Treasurer Patrick Callahan reported a 2019 year-end balance of $8,123.
- Membership: Membership Chair Mercy Mandelbaum reported we currently have 171 members. Two new members – Cindy McNary and Jan Kass — were asked to stand and be recognized. Two other guests were introduced: Coronado Police Chief Chuck Kaye and Pete Murray, candidate for Superior Court Judge.
- Hospitality: Thanks to the Hospitality Committee and its chair Jenna McIntosh for a variety of delicious treats.
- March Annual Meeting: The “Blue Wave Brunch” will be on Saturday, March 14, 2020 at Feast and Fareway (Coronado Municipal Golf Course) starting at 10:30 a.m. This is our club’s annual meeting. Brunch Chair Susan Marrinan introduced and thanked the brunch committee. She encouraged members to purchase tickets today from Peggy Thayer, who was set up to take payment (cash, check or credit card). Tickets are $30, with opportunities for sponsorships. It will be a fun event, with a free raffle and a drink-naming contest with prizes. Judy Bambace encouraged members to submit a funny/political name for the event’s signature drink. Elections for several board positions will be held that day. The program will feature Hon. Toni Atkins, California State Senate President Pro Tem.
- Upcoming Events: Women’s March on January 18, 2020. Joint meeting with Imperial Beach Democratic Club, Thursday, January 23, 2020, 6 to 8 p.m. This will be a forum on ballot propositions for the upcoming election as well as judicial candidates for the Superior Court.
- Swing Left: Gail Bardin will again host a “letter writing” party at her home in Coronado on January 19, 2020, from 3 to 5 p.m., targeting voters in swing states. RSVPs are required: email@example.com.
- GO (Grassroots Organizing) Team: President Frank King reminded members about the importance of precinct walking and asked for more volunteers. The GO Team will be canvassing (mostly Democrats) in Coronado for both the primary and general elections. There will also be opportunities for phone banking. Training and a kick-off are scheduled for the end of January.
- Walk Against Hate Campaign: Jean Seager announced the Anti-Defamation League is organizing a 5K walk on Sunday, April 26, 2020, at 8:30 a.m. at Liberty Station, and she inquired about having our club participate as a group. Cost is $15 per person, and a team leader is needed. Contact Jean for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approval of Amendments to Bylaws: Ron Mandelbaum, Chair of the Bylaws Committee, recognized and thanked the other two committee members (Bill Seager and Judy Bambace). All club members were previously sent a copy of the bylaws and proposed changes. The amendments were approved by unanimous consent.
Program: Susan Marrinan introduced Mark Sauer, host of the KPBS Roundtable, and today’s Moderator for a panel discussion on Hate Crimes in the U.S. and San Diego. Panel members were Rick Barton, Attorney and Adjunct Professor at USD School of Law; Leonard Trinh, Attorney and Head of the San Diego District Attorney’s Hate Crime Unit; and Lilia Velasquez, Immigration Attorney, Award-winning Activist and Adjunct Professor at California Western School of Law. The panel gave a fascinating factual and statistical account of the impact of hate crimes and how we can address these incidents.
- Next General Meeting (Brunch): Saturday, March 14, 2020 at 10:30 a.m. at Feast and Fareway.
- Meeting adjourned: President Frank King at 12:40 p.m.
Judith Bambace, (Acting) Recording Secretary